Criminal Law Solicitors Serving Campbelltown, Leppington, Liverpool, Camden and Sydney

Our expert Criminal Law team have successfully represented clients in all types of Criminal Law cases, in the Local, District and Supreme Court of New South Wales. If you have been arrested or would like to find out what rights you have, make an appointment today with one of our team. Experience matters, don't settle for less, our solicitors are experienced in all areas of Criminal Law including:

  • Appeals to Court of Criminal Appeal
  • Apprehended Violence Orders (AVO's)
  • Assault (ABH or GBH)
  • Bail Applications and Variations
  • Breach of AVO's
  • Break and Enter
  • Centrelink Offences
  • Coronial Inquests
  • Defended Hearings
  • District Court Appeals (Conviction and Sentence)
  • Domestic Violence
  • Drink Driving, Drive whilst Suspended or Disqualified, Drug Driving
  • Drug Possession 
  • Drug Importation
  • Drug Supply
  • Drug Manufacture
  • Firearm Offences
  • Fraud
  • Historical Sexual Assault
  • Indecent Assault
  • Mental Health and The Law
  • Murder
  • Offences against Police (Assault/Resist Arrest)
  • Release Applications (Local, District and Supreme Court)
  • Robbery
  • Serious Assault Matters (Intentional Inflict GBH/Manslaughter)
  • Sex Offences (Sexual Assault, Sexual Touching)
  • Theft
  • Traffic Infringements
  • Trials (District Court and Supreme Court)

The department is headed by Partner, Sharon Ramsden with the support of, Rylie Hahn-Hamilton, Senior Associate. Sharon is an Accredited Specialist in Criminal Law, appearing in all Jurisdictions in NSW and other Criminal Courts across Australia. Rylie has practised exclusively in the area of Criminal Law appearing daily as an advocate in the Local Courts across Sydney and Greater Sydney Metropolitan. The team has a wealth of experience that only comes from specialising in crime. Each is able to assess the merits of a case, communicate them clearly and advocate on your behalf. It is unlikely that you will find better hands on solicitors in the State.

If you would like to make an appointment to see one of our Criminal Law Solicitors please click here.




Marsdens Law Group Criminal Law team were recently named one of the top criminal law firms in Sydney by Top Experts. Top Experts has a strict ranking process that includes mystery shoppers, customer reviews and licensing checks. Click here to see our listing.


Sharon Ramsden

Sharon Ramsden


Accredited Specialist - Criminal Law

Ensuring clear and appropriate advice is provided to her clients is a main focus for Sharon. She provides advice and can appear on your behalf in all aspects of criminal cases, commencing with Bail/Release Applications in the Local Court or Supreme C...
Anthony Gordon

Anthony Gordon


Anthony Gordon is the Partner in charge of the Camden Office of Marsdens Law Group and is a General Practitioner. As a General Practitioner he acts for clients in all areas of Family Law, Estate Planning, Property and Conveyancing Law, Criminal and C...
Rylie Hahn-Hamilton

Rylie Hahn-Hamilton

Senior Associate

Rylie is an experienced advocate appearing regularly across the Local Courts in Sydney and the wider Sydney Metropolitan area. Her experience in this jurisdiction has built respectable relationships with the Magistracy and other key stakeholders in t...
Ben Brown

Ben Brown


Ben is a solicitor practicing in the Criminal Law Department at our Campbelltown Office, working alongside Partner Sharon Ramsden and Senior Associate Rylie Hahn-Hamilton.Ben joined Marsdens in 2021, where he began working in Criminal Law. Ben has de...
Sophia Seton

Sophia Seton


Sophia is a solicitor practicing in the Criminal Law Department at our Campbelltown and Sydney Offices, working with Partner Sharon Ramsden and Senior Associate Rylie Hahn-Hamilton.Sophia joined the Criminal Law Department at Marsdens in 2023 as a Gr...


I'm a student & receive Austudy Centrelink payments. I was recently informed that I have been overpaid and have now received a Court Attendance Notice for fraud. I will be unable to secure a job if i am convicted. Are there lawyers who are experienced in

Yes. Social security fraud is a particularly difficult and technical area of the criminal law. Prosecutions of this type are launched under federal legislation and cases are considered on the basis of the Commonwealth Criminal Code.

The evidence presented by the prosecution is often complex and intimidating to those who are not well versed and experienced in these matters. Many prosecutions under this type of legislation are open to challenge and it is important to ensure that your legal representative is knowledgeable in this challenging area of the law.

I am a security officer licensed to carry a firearm. I was falsely accused of threatening my neighbour. I was not charged but the Police have suspended my Security & Firearm Licences. Do I have the right to appeal?

There is an appeal process for both types of licence which may end in your case being considered by the Administrative Decisions Tribunal. The New South Wales Police Firearms Registry is responsible for the granting of firearms licences in this State, as is the New South Wales Police Security Registry in relation to the regulation of licence holders in that industry. Whilst both governmental agencies have the best interests of the community at heart, they are also capable from time to time of not fully considering the interests of the licence holder or, on occasion, make an error as to the operation of the law.

The appeal process for both types of licence involves a number of steps and time limits that need to be complied with.


I have been caught drink driving. Some people have told me there is nothing much that can be done and that it is a waste of money getting a lawyer. Is that true?

That depends upon the lawyer that you get. Drink driving offences can carry with them jail sentences where it involves high range (over 0.150) or middle range (over 0.08). Also, a person who is convicted of a drink driving offence faces automatic disqualification of 3 years for High Range, 12 months for Middle Range and for Low Range (0.05 to 0.08) 6 months. The 'automatic' periods of disqualification may be varied by the court to 12 months - High Range, 6 months - Mid Range and 3 months - Low Range.

If the person before the Court has a conviction for a similar 'major offence' within the previous 5 years the penalties are much higher.

In 2007, the New South Wales Supreme Court handed down a Guideline Judgment in relation to high range drink driving offences. This was relevant to people charged with all types of drink driving offences because the principles set out by the Supreme Court are followed by most Magistrates sitting in the Local Courts. One of the points the Supreme Court made was that "automatic means automatic" as far as disqualification is concerned, unless there is good reason demonstrated as to why the automatic period should be lowered.

The Guideline Judgment also makes it very clear that courts should consider sending people to prison for High Range offences in circumstances where there is increased moral culpability.

Magistrates in the Local Court hear many drink driving cases each day. The reality is that in order to obtain the best result possible and to get you back on the road as quickly as possible, you may need careful and considered legal representation.

I have been asked to go to the Police station to speak to an officer about "an assault". My ex & I had an argument a few weeks ago but nothing happened. I have nothing to hide, should I speak to a lawyer?

Absolutely. Even if you have done nothing wrong and have a clear conscience, you need to get legal advice before you say anything to the Police. Our legal system ensures that an accused person has the right to remain silent when spoken to by the Police and if that person exercises their right to silence it cannot be held against them. There is no doubt a telephone call from a Police officer can cause great stress and discomfort to a person, even when they have done nothing wrong. The most effective way to deal with this is to have a lawyer contact the Police and act on your behalf from the start so that your rights are protected.

I have received a Penalty Notice for speeding over 30 or 45 KPH. The Police officer told me that I will lose my driver's licence. Is there anything I can do to appeal?

You have a number of options:

  1. If you think that you were not exceeding the speed limit by either 30 or 45 KPH (even if you were exceeding the prevailing speed limit) then you can go to Court and defend the case on the basis that either you were not speeding or that even though you might have been going over the speed limit (e.g.100 in an 80 zone) that you are not guilty of going 110 in that area. If the Court finds for you then you will keep your licence.
  2. You can pay the fine. The RTA will then send you out a notice telling you that you will be suspended from a certain date for at least 3 months. The letter will give you the option of appealing the suspension. If you do appeal, the court will consider your case and perhaps reduce or even quash the suspension.

Police sniffer dog caught me with a small amount of drugs at a music festival. It is only a minor offence. Do I need a lawyer?

People (especially young people) need to remember that what is considered to be a minor offence by certain members of the community in this country is not always the case overseas. If you are found guilty of a drug related offence (no matter how small the amount) you may face considerable difficulty in gaining a visa or entry into an increasing number of countries that include the United States and the U.K.

You should also understand that a 'conviction' on a person's record remains on a person's record for a number of years and every time you apply for a job, the odds are that you will have to declare the conviction.

If a person is guilty of a crime (even crimes that are not trivial) the court has the discretion to not record a conviction against them. A conviction recorded against a person can have an effect on a person's life and reputation over many years. For that reason it is most important that your case is argued in court in the most thorough and competent manner. Sometimes, a person thinks that they are guilty of a crime when they are technically not guilty. To guarantee the best result you should be represented for any matter.

My partner has been arrested by the Police. How long can they keep them for before charging them?

Generally speaking, a person who is under arrest can be detained by Police for the period of time that is referred to as ‘the investigation period' . This period referred to as a reasonable time, as set out in the legislation that give Police the power to hold a person against their will.

However, the Police are not permitted to hold the person for more than 4 hours unless given an extension by a Court or as set out in what is known as an investigation warrant that they have got from a Justice prior to the arrest. In determining what is a reasonable time, certain periods can be disregarded as dead time. Periods which can be treated as 'dead time' include:

  • Time taken to convey the person to the nearest location with facilities for conducting forensic procedures;
  • A reasonable time waiting for the arrival of Police officers or people whose special skills are necessary for the investigation;
  • Time waiting for a tape recorder or video tape to become available to record a record of interview;
  • Time to allow the accused to communicate with (presumably by phone) a friend, relative, guardian, independent person, lawyer or consular official;
  • Time taken in waiting for one of the people referred to in (iv) to arrive;
  • Time taken to allow the accused to consult at the place where he is detained with one of the people referred to in (iv);
  • Time taken in arranging for and allowing the accused to have medical treatment;
  • Time waiting for an interpreter to arrive or become available;
  • Time reasonably required to arrange and conduct an identification parade;
  • Time for the accused to rest, receive refreshments, or go to the toilet;
  • Time for the accused to recover from intoxication from alcohol and/or drugs;
  • Time for the Police to prepare, make and dispose of an application for a detention warrant or search warrant;
  • Time reasonably required to charge the accused.

As a general rule, the person must be released during the investigation period or brought before a Justice, Magistrate or Court within the investigation period or 'as soon as practicable' after the end of that period.

Our adult son has been charged with damaging property and has to appear in Court. Is there any way the court will take the fact that his marriage recently broke down & he is suffering from depression into consideration?

There certainly is. People who have not been diagnosed as 'mentally ill' but are suffering from a condition for which treatment is available by a medical health professional, or are developmentally disabled, can be diverted from being dealt with in the criminal justice system in certain circumstances. Their case can be presented so that the Court will consider not recording a conviction or even a finding of guilt against them. Rather, the Court may direct the charge be dismissed upon condition the person continue with a certain course of treatment.



Our son is suspected of being involved in a serious crime. Do the police have a right to take a sample of his DNA?

The short answer to this question is 'yes'. However, whilst the Police have a number of powers to compel people to do things during the course of an investigation, they do not have the power to conduct what are referred to as intimate forensic procedures which include taking a DNA sample from a person without their consent. Providing a DNA sample is a painless procedure which involves the collection of fluid from the mouth of the person using a soft 'swab'. It is not a medical procedure.

If the person does not give consent to providing a sample, the Police have to apply to a Magistrate to justify the reasons for wanting to take the sample which includes what basis they have for suspecting the person in question is involved in the investigation.

Our new next door neighbour has started to threaten and abuse my wife and children. The police aren't very interested. Is there anything we can do?

There certainly is. Whilst it really is the role of Police to assist you in these types of situations, they are not always properly resourced with the staff or experience to deal with what can be very difficult situations.

You have the right to make an application for an Apprehended Personal Violence Order (APVO) in the Local Court. Your case will be heard by a Magistrate who will, if necessary, make an order that certain individuals do not assault, molest, harass intimidate or interfere with you and your family. Once an order is made, any breach of that order may result in serious punishment including a prison sentence.

However, the Magistrate may also refer the case to conciliation to avoid a Court case.

We are able to assist in advising and representing you in these types of situations.