This remains one of the largest areas of migration to Australia. There are several different avenues but in broad terms it can either be re-uniting a family or, in the alternative, migrating on the basis of a relationship.

These applications generally are able to be made both on-shore and off-shore. They require an Australian Sponsor who must be a permanent resident and/or Australian Citizen and as with all Visa applications, the applicant must satisfy both the health and character tests. Those tests are extended to all "dependent" children of the Visa applicant.